On Quora, people share questions, answers, and other content to collectively build knowledge and community within a Space. Quora generally moderates items within Spaces at a content-level, however, repeated or serious violations may result in the removal of the entire Space. Note that Space admins may decide to set more restrictive policies for individual Spaces that they manage. Below are the following policies for Quora Spaces:
Hate speech is defined as a serious attack on a group or individual based on their race, ethnicity, gender, nationality, sexual orientation, sex, religion, caste, serious medical condition, or disability. This includes the use of slurs in a disparaging way, as well as content that dehumanizes or calls for violence, exclusion, or segregation of protected classes.
- Statements like “[insert race/ethnicity] are not welcome in our country”
- Statements like “[insert religious group] are parasites”
- The use of racial slurs in a disparaging way
Denial of the following events, in which protected classes were the primary targets, is prohibited: the Holocaust and Armenian Genocide.
Harassment & Bullying
Posting content or engaging in behaviors with the intent to harass, intimidate, or humiliate an individual, whether in public or private. This includes encouraging others to engage in such behavior. Examples include:
- Threatening violence or calling for serious physical harm to an individual (e.g., “I hope you die”, “Someone needs to find and maim you.”, “I hope you get [insert disease] and die.”)
- Finding a way to repeatedly message or engage with someone after being blocked
- Creating a Space for the sole purpose of harassing a private individual
- Adding questions about a private individual, that would appear to a reasonable observer, to be harassment
- Targeted insults or profanity directed at private individuals based on personal attributes, such as physical appearance.
- Revealing someone’s personal or confidential information without permission (also known as doxxing). Examples of what we consider personal information under this policy include:
- Home address
- Physical location
- Identity documents such as government-issued IDs
- Social security numbers
- Financial account information
- Credit card details
- Medical records
- Biometric data
- Real name of a pseudonymous account
If there is a question about you on Quora, you have the right to have the entire question and its contents removed. However, we allow questions about lawsuits or any topic mentioned in the media that may reference individuals.
Harmful Activities and Self-Harm
- Encouraging, glorifying, or promoting:
- Acts of physical violence towards others by civilians (excluding discussions about reasonable self defense as well as violence involving military actions).
- Acts of physical violence towards others by other non-state actors, such as terrorist organizations.
- Suicide or self-harm (including eating disorders). This includes soliciting or sharing information, strategies, or methods on how to commit suicide or self-harm.
- Animal cruelty
- Stating a specific intent to commit physical violence.
- Stating intent to join a terrorist group, or recruiting on behalf of a terrorist organization
- Graphically violent profile photos, Space icons, and cover photos.
- Glorifying a violent mass casualty event (e.g., “I’m so glad [insert terrorist group] bombed that building”)
- Explaining how long it would take to succumb to death after a self-inflicted injury or sharing the easiest way to inflict self-harm or commit suicide
- Telling someone they should kill themselves
- Sharing a link to an animal torture video and saying the animal “deserved it”
- Providing tips on how to practice known behaviors associated with eating disorders.
Quora may also ban and remove all content from any user who is a confirmed and/or declared member of any group on the U.S. State Department list of Foreign Terrorist Organizations, or is a confirmed participant in acts of mass violence or hate crimes.
Sexual exploitation and abuse
Children and Minors
Sexually explicit or suggestive content (written or visual) involving children and minors. If child sexual abuse material is identified to us, we will remove it, report it to relevant authorities, and your account will be permanently banned.
- Sexually explicit or suggestive content involving children and minors (this can include content involving minors who are fully clothed and not engaged in overtly sexual acts)
- Descriptions, whether real or fantasy, of engaging in sexual interactions with children and minors
- Soliciting or exchanging sexually explicit or suggestive images involving children and minors, or Spaces dedicated to such behavior
- Sending or requesting sexually explicit media to or from a child or minor
- Content describing different ways to coerce children and minors into sexual interactions
- Advocating for or glorifying minor - non-minor relations
- Sharing of external links to content that would violate this policy
- Sharing sexually explicit content in Spaces that are directed towards minors (ages 13-17)
- Grooming behavior, such as an adult attempting to engage in sexually explicit conversations with a minor on or off the platform
Advocacy against illegal or harmful activity involving children or minors is not a violation of this policy provided there is no sharing of, or linking to any material featuring child sexual exploitation.
Reporting - Please Speak Up: If you think you've found a Quora account distributing or promoting sexually explicit or suggestive content involving children and minors, please report it to us using the in-product reporting tools. Please provide the username and links to all relevant content that led you to believe the account should be reviewed.
Sexually explicit or suggestive content (written or visual) involving animals with humans.
Sexually explicit graphic content involving adults which appears to be non-consensual or violent, as well as any content that promotes or glorifies non-consensual sexual activity.
- Media clearly depicting any person involved in a sexual act or nude without consent, whether real or a faked depiction
- Close ups of intimate parts of a person’s body in public (e.g., upskirt creepshots)
- Distributing or sharing revenge porn
- Violent sexual content (written or visual) that depicts violence, whether real or simulated, with sexual acts
- Sending unsolicited and/or unwanted adult media, including images, videos, and GIFs through our messaging features
We allow educational discussions about sexual exploitation, stories of experienced abuse, and content seeking help or advice, but may restrict or remove content with explicit details.
Prohibited images in icons and cover images
Adult content and graphically violent images in Space icons and cover photos are not permitted.
Sexually explicit content
Do not post adult content in non-adult Spaces. Adult content is only allowed in Spaces that are tagged as ‘Adult’. Admins can mark a Space as Adult from their Space Settings page. Additionally, Quora Moderation may tag a Space as Adult if it meets certain criteria, for example, when a Space is about an adult topic or it contains several posts that meet Quora’s definition of adult content.
Examples of prohibited behavior:
- Posting porn in a non-adult space
- Posting sexual imagery (ex. sexually explicit cartoons, GIFs) in a non-adult space
- Graphic description of a sexual act in a non-adult Space
Repeated violations of this policy may lead to an edit-block or permanent ban of the account.
Spam negatively impacts interaction on the platform, reduces trust, and inhibits authentic engagement. Spam is defined as any of the following:
- Selling illegal products, services, or technology such as escort services, prostitution, or illegal drugs
- Selling weapons or controlled substances
- Promoting illegal streaming links or websites, get-rich-quick schemes, miraculous improvements such as rapid weight loss programs, scams like advance-fee scams, unofficial password or account recovery services, or hacking services
- Coordinated inauthentic activity, such as vote manipulation
- Posting deceptive or malicious links on Quora, including ones that mimic Quora UI that direct users to unexpected websites
- Posting the same content repeatedly, or sending the same messages repeatedly
- Doing any of the following for the purpose of driving traffic to an external site or for monetary gain:
- Posting irrelevant answers or comments
- Editing your questions to include links or irrelevant information
Impersonation is pretending to be someone else or falsely posing as a brand and is prohibited on Quora.
Intellectual Property and Personal Rights
Copyright infringement is against our Terms of Service. Learn more about our Copyright policy.
Using the Quora brand/logo
Using the Quora brand name or logo (or variations) of it in Spaces titles, icons or cover photos is not permitted unless it is an official Quora space, owned and endorsed by the company.
Targeting underage users
Per our Terms of Service, use of the Quora Platform by anyone under 13 years of age is prohibited. Any Space that is exclusively for people under 13 years of age will be removed. If a Space targets users of varying ages and explicitly includes people under 13 years of age, the Space owner will be warned and given a limited amount of time to change the Space name, description, or rules to exclude people under 13 years of age. If the Space is not updated within the stipulated time, the Space will be removed.
If you see something on Quora that you believe violates our policies, please report it to us using the in-product reporting tool, or via our contact form.
Quora has the sole authority and final decision as to whether content or behavior violates these policies. We may enforce these policies in a variety of ways, including, but not limited to written warnings, removal of content, adding warning tags to content, or the limitation or termination of a user’s access to Quora.