Disclaimer: As independent contractors, it is the responsibility of the Partners to keep track of their earnings and to accurately report them in their tax filings. General 1099 overview and Stripe FAQs can be found here as a reference. Any questions about what you have to report on your taxes should be directed to a tax professional, as Quora cannot provide you with tax advice.
If you already have a Stripe connected account, please review to make sure your personal information is up to date (e.g. Taxpayer Identification Number/Social Security Number, mailing address, etc.) before December 29, 2023. This will ensure accurate tax information reporting and timely delivery of your Form 1099-NEC.
In the United States, all Partners that earn $600 or more within a calendar year will receive a Form 1099-NEC. A 1099 form is used to report independent contractor earnings to the IRS. You only get a 1099 form after earning more than $600 with a company. If you receive earnings less than $600, you will not receive a Form 1099-NEC.
If your state has a filing threshold lower than $600, you might receive a 1099 form. You can check your state’s requirements here: View 1099 state requirements.
Your 1099 tax form will be sent to you by January 31st, 2024 (note: paper forms delivered by postal delivery might take up to 10 additional business days).
- Starting November 1st, 2023: Stripe will email you instructions on how to set up e-delivery and create a Stripe Express account. If you haven’t already, you’ll need to complete these steps to access your 1099 tax form electronically.
- Before mid January: Confirm your tax information (e.g., name, address, and SSN or EIN) is correct via Stripe Express.
- By January 31st, 2024:
- Your 1099 tax form will be available to download through Stripe Express.
- Your 1099 tax form will be mailed to you if you don’t receive an email from Stripe or don’t consent to e-delivery. Please allow up to 10 business days for postal delivery.
- Quora will file your 1099 tax form with the IRS and relevant state tax authorities.
- April 15, 2024: IRS deadline to file taxes. You’ll need your 1099 tax form to file your taxes.
In January, we strongly suggest that you ensure all of your tax filing details are up to date in Stripe Express. Your name, address and Taxpayer Identification Number (Social Security Number /Employer Identification Number) are of primary importance.
After you log in to your Stripe Express account, you will be able to consent to e-delivery of your 1099 tax forms. If you do not consent to e-delivery, you will not be able to view or download your 1099 tax forms in the Stripe Express Tax forms page. If you opted in to e-delivery, your 1099 tax form will be delivered electronically near the end of January. If you don’t agree to paperless delivery, Stripe will mail you a paper copy of your 1099 tax form instead.
For some users, Stripe will NOT be able to e-deliver all the tax forms and will receive the paper copy via postal mail.
I am enrolled in both the Partner Program and Ads Revenue Share Program. Will I receive separate 1099s for my earnings in each program?
If you are enrolled in both programs under the same User ID, we will try to combine your earnings from both programs and report your total combined earnings on one Form 1099-NEC. Also, we determine 1099 filing requirement based on your total combined earnings in all programs, so even though you may not meet the $600 threshold in one program or both programs separately, you may still receive a Form 1099-NEC based on your total combined earnings in all programs for the calendar year.
Your Social Security Number is required to get your 1099 tax form properly filed with the IRS. If you have earned enough to qualify for a 1099 tax form, the IRS requires your full details to be verified ahead of 1099 filing.
If all your accounts pass the 1099 reporting thresholds and your platform is using Stripe Express for e-delivery you’ll be sent invite emails for each account and you’ll need to create an account for each one. Follow the steps in the invite emails.
Update your account information in the Account tab:
- Under Stripe Express Account, you can update the email address and phone number used to log in to Stripe Express. Please note that only one contact method can be updated at a time.
- Under Language preference, you can choose your preferred language for Stripe Express.
- Under Payout and Professional Details, you can update personal and legal entity information and view your bank account or debit card information for payouts. To update your payout details, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you were eligible for a 1099 tax form in previous years and your platform used Stripe Express to deliver tax forms in those years, you can use the dropdown menu in Stripe Express to change the year and view prior years’ tax forms.
For questions about the amounts included on your 1099 form, please contact email@example.com.